There is no mother as important as our own and we should celebrate her on Sunday, May 9, 2021. Traditionally Mother’s Day is observed on the second Sunday in the month of May. On this day we can also reflect on the importance of motherhood and the role of mothers in our society. Whether we call her mom, mother, ma, mommy or mama just do not forget to thank her for all she has done.
Some famous mothers
- Mother Teresa was a Roman Catholic nun and missionary. She was born in 1910 in Macedonia. As a young girl she made the decision to become a nun and live a life of serving others. She set up an organization called Missionaries of Charity which cared for people in extreme poverty. She cared for people suffering from leprosy and AIDs. Her organization built orphanages, hospitals and homes for the sick. In 1979 she received the Nobel peace prize for her charity work, then in 2016 Pope Francis canonised her as a saint. She famously said, “Not all of us can do great things, but we can do small things with great love.”
- Whistler’s Mother is a very famous painting by James Whistler and it is indeed a portrait of his own mother. When Whistler started the portrait, he had his mother pose while standing but she became tired of that after two or three days so she asked if she could sit. The painting is very large, about 60 inches by 60 inches, so almost life-size. It has become one of the world’s most recognized paintings. Painted in 1871 it is valued at $140 million.
- Lady Diana also known as Princess of Wales was married to Prince Charles, the future King of England. However, she is well known as the loving mother of Prince William and Harry. William was born in 1982 and Harry two years later. We all remember the image of her interacting with her adored two sons who she was very involved in raising. Sadly, we also can recall the image of her two sons walking in her funeral procession when they were only 12 and 14 years old.
- Olivia Dionne was the mother of the famous Dionne quintuplets, the first quintuplets to survive after birth. Born in Ontario in 1934, the doctor who delivered them took custody of them and placed them in a theme park and up to 6,000 people visited each day to see the children. Finally in 1943 the parents regained custody and the girls moved back with their family. In 1998 the surviving sisters sued the government for allowing them to be exploited and they were granted 4 million dollars.
- Mother Nature or Mother Earth is a force or a symbol of a woman who is a guardian of the Earth. She controls weather and all living things. Many stories, fables and myths have been written about her. She symbolizes the entire ecosystem of the planet.
- Mother Mary In the Gospel of Matthew and the Gospel of Luke it tells us that Mary had a visit from the angel Gabriel to tell her that she would give birth to a son. The angel told her the baby Jesus would save people from their sins.