The number of cases of COVID-19 in the region has peaked. Sixteen new cases were announced on September 23. Nine of the cases are located in the MRC of Avignon, two in the MRC of Bonaventure, four in the Rocher-Percé MRC and one in the Côte-de-Gaspé MRC. Public Health says that for the cases in Avignon the source is still unknown, but some of the infected individuals had been in the Lower St. Lawrence region recently. The cases elsewhere in the region are not linked to the Avignon outbreak. The case in Côte-de-Gaspé is linked to a case at the Cegep there. However, contact tracing is still underway regarding most of the cases.
Public Health also states that the difference between provincial and regional statistics can be explained by the rapidly changing situation and that adjustments will be made over the next few days.
Outbreak at the CHSLD in Maria (Residence St-Joseph)
According to Public Health, so far, nine (+2) residents and less than five staff members at the Maria CHSLD (government owed long-term care facility) have tested positive for COVID-19.
That CHSLD houses 91 residents and nearly 130 employees work there.
When there are fewer than five cases, the exact number is not released because of privacy concerns.
The total number of COVID-19 cases in the Gaspé Peninsula and Magdalen Islands is now 263. Presently, 216 (82.1%) individuals have recovered. There are 38 (14.4%) active cases in the region. Currently, there is one individual hospitalized outside the region due to COVID-19.
Avignon is now at Level 2 (Early Warning)
The Public Health has categorized the MRC of Avignon as a Level 2.
This means that the public is being asked to be extra careful and strictly apply basic sanitary measures:
- Stay at home if symptoms of COVID-19 appear.
- Consult the site https://covid19.quebec.ca/surveys/cdd2/introduction to find out if a COVID-19 test is necessary;
- Wash your hands frequently throughout the day, especially if objects have been touched or shared by others;
- Keep a distance of 2 metres at all times from anyone who does not live at the same address;
- Wear a mask at all times in public places.
- Awareness interventions with target groups and organizations (ie: community centres, events, etc.) will be intensified.
According to Public Health it is possible that the MRC of Avignon will soon be upgraded to Level 3 (Alert).
Regional: MRC of Residence of the Cases
|MRC / living environment||Confirmed cases||Rate per 100,000||Active Cases|
– Community (+7)
– Manoir du havre
– Residence Saint Joseph (+2)
|Gaspé Peninsula Magdalen Islands||263||292||38|
Source: Gaspé Peninsula Public Health Board.
The totals for the province are as follows:
|69,088 (+471)||5,809 (*+4)||178 (+10)||30 (+2)|