Back to Top

Regional update: Public Health releases vaccine distribution stats

vaccination clinic

There is one new case of COVID-19, that case is located in the MRC of Bonaventure. The total number of cases in the region now totals 1695. Five individuals are currently hospitalized, two are hospitalized in the region. Regionally, since the beginning of the pandemic, 124 people were hospitalized.

There are currently 9 active cases in the region:

  • Avignon MRC – less than 5
  • Bonaventure MRC – less than 5
  • Rocher-Percé MRC – 5
  • Côte-de-Gaspé MRC – 0
  • Haute-Gaspésie MRC – 0
  • Magdalen Islands – 0


The CISSS has confirmed that the first vaccination drive has finished. Vaccinations will continue, as soon as new doses of the vaccine are made available. “It is important to emphasize that the Gaspesian population will be informed, sector by sector, of the progress of the vaccines and will have all the necessary information to easily and carefully follow the progress of the vaccinations,” states a CISSS press release. In addition, the CISSS says, all means of communication will be implemented so that everyone will be able to have their questions answered and know exactly the procedure to follow in order to be vaccinated. However, Regional director of public health, Dr. Yv Bonnier Viger would like the public to continue to be vigilant, even if the daily regional situation appears to be positive. “We must not forget that the health measures that we ask the population to apply must be followed rigorously until a good percentage of the population is vaccinated,” states Dr. Yv Bonnier Viger.

6301 doses of the vaccine were administered in the region.

6002 people with an address in the Gaspé Peninsula and Magdalen Islands received one dose of the COVID vaccination. This represents 6.6% of the Gaspé Peninsula Magdalen Islands population.

26% of those vaccinated were over 80 years of age.

54.4% of the doses were administered to health care workers (including caregivers).

14% of the doses were administered to residents of RPAs (private residences for seniors).

7.7% of the doses were administered to residents of CHSLDs (government owned long-term facilities).

5.9% of the doses were administered to people with at least one chronic illness (excluding residents of CHSLDs, RPAs and health care workers).

18% of the doses were categorized as “other”.

96% of CHSLD residents have been vaccinated, the majority of the remaining 4% having refused the vaccine.

67% of the vaccines used in the region were Pfizer.

33% of the vaccines used in the region were Moderna.

Provincial numbers:

  • Total cases 256,002
  • Total new cases +1,166
  • Recovered cases 230,803
  • Total deaths 9,577
  • New deaths +57
  • Current hospitalizations 1,324
  • New hospitalizations +3
  • Total individuals in ICU 217
  • New individuals in ICU (stable)
  • Total vaccinations administered 224,879
  • New vaccinations administered +5,927